East Jackson Street Businesses
[Top photo caption reads]
Notice Iola's 1st horse-drawn ambulances and hearse in front of Culbertson's building. The top floor, as well as the west entrance on the bottom was used for Culbertson's mortuary business, and the east side was an art supply store.
[Bottom photo caption reads]
This building was built in 1905. Laundry services were an essential business in this era because average homes did not have laundering services.
Erected 2014 by Iola CITF/PRIDE.
Location. 37° 55.391′ N, 95° 24.226′ W. Marker is in Iola, Kansas, in Allen County. Marker is on Jackson Street east of North Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the north side of the Courthouse Square. Marker is in this post office area: Iola KS 66749, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Granny Cowden (here, next to this marker); Josiah Colborn (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named East Jackson Street Businesses (within shouting distance of this marker); North Jefferson Avenue Businesses (within shouting distance of this marker);
Also see . . . History of Iola, Kansas. (Submitted on May 22, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.