Brantford in Brant County, Ontario — Central Canada
Le village des Mohawks
Allies of the British during the American War of Independence, the Six Nations Iroquois received extensive lands along the Grand River in 1784. Mohawks, led by Joseph Brant, established a village of some 400 individuals here by 1788. The community was situated at an important crossing point on the river ("Brant's Ford") and prospered as a resting place for travellers on the "Detroit path", a trail linking the Niagara and Detroit Rivers. Increasingly European settlers encroached on Six Nations' lands. In 1841 the government moved the Grand River Iroquois to a section of their land south of the river. Of the Mohawk Village, only the chapel remains.
Alliés des Anglais pendant le Révolution américaine, les Iroquois des Six-Nations reçoivent de vastes terres le long de la rivière Grand en 1874. Des Mohawks (Agniers), menés par Joseph Brant, ont déjà établi ice un village de quelque 400 habitants en 1788. La collectivité est située près d’un passage à gué de la rivière et prospère comme lieu de repos des voyageurs qui remontent la «piste de Detroit», un sentier qui relie les rivières Niagara et Detroit. Les colons européens empiètent toujours plus sur les terres des Six-Nations. En 1841, le gouvernement déménage les Iroquois de la rivière Grand sur une partie de leurs terres au sud de la rivière.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario.
Location. 43° 7.482′ N, 80° 14.113′ W. Marker is in Brantford, Ontario, in Brant County. Marker is on Mohawk Street just from Morrison Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Mohawk Street, Brantford, Ontario N3S 2X2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Her Majesty’s Chapel of the Mohawks (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paul’s 1785 (within shouting distance of this marker); Tomb of THAYENDANEGEA (within shouting distance of this marker); Cogwagee • Tom Longboat (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Ahyouwaeghs - John Brant (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Thayendanega (Joseph Brant) (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); The Six Nations (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); The Six Nations War Memorial (approx. 11.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Brantford.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.