“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warren in Warren County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Warren Suspension Bridge

Warren Suspension Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 22, 2015
1. Warren Suspension Bridge Marker
Inscription. Construction of the suspension bridge on this site began in the early summer of 1871 and the bridge opened for use in November that year. The total cost for the structure was nearly $45,000 and tolls were collected for about 25 years. Workmen are shown here building the north abutment against a background of lumber rafts which were stranded in the eddy owing to a very low stage of water in the spring. Across the Allegheny River is Warren's south side, then undeveloped except for Oakland Cemetery and scattered farms. Built by Elmira, New York, contractor George W. Fishler, the new bridge was to change all that, for it made possible rapid settlement of land formerly accessible only by ferry or by crossing the ice in winter. Until 1900, when the Warren Emergency Hospital was built there, a portion of the south side west of the bridge was occupied by the Warren County fair grounds. In the middle of the river, beyond the rafts, are the remains of the covered bridge at Hazel Street, which stood only from 1839 to 1855. In the far distance, on the north bank, is the Revere House, an early railroad hotel next to the tracks and passenger station of the Philadelphia and Erie Railroad. Just to the left of this scene, on the foot of the island (Warren's first manufacturing district) was Rathbun's wharf, the town landing throughout much of the nineteenth
Warren Suspension Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 22, 2015
2. Warren Suspension Bridge Marker
and Hickory Bridge in the background
century for keelboats, flatboats and steamboats plying the Allegheny on high water during the late winter and spring navigation season.
Erected 1998 by Warren County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 50.665′ N, 79° 8.953′ W. Marker is in Warren, Pennsylvania, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Pennsylvania Avenue West and Hickory Bridge. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Warren PA 16365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Celoron's Expedition (within shouting distance of this marker); Struthers Library Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Struthers-Wetmore-Schimmelfeng House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Warren County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Conewango (approx. half a mile away); Seneca Crossing (approx. 5.6 miles away); Buckaloons (approx. 5.6 miles away); General William Irvine (approx. 5.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Warren.
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsWaterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement