Santa Tecla, La Libertad, El Salvador — Central America (West Coast)
Tribute to Santa Tecla
Patrona de Nuestra Ciudad
Asociación Tecleños de Corazón
Junta Directiva 2005
Tribute to Saint Tecla, Patron Saint of Our City
Association "Santa Tecla in Our Hearts"
(Names of the 2005 Board of Directors)
Location. 13° 40.451′ N, 89° 17.337′ W. Marker is in Santa Tecla Click for map. Marker and monument are in Daniel Hernández Park, on the northwest corner.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kiosk of Daniel Hernandez Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); Madre Clara Maria de Jesus Quiros (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Manuel Gallardo (about 90 meters away); Santa Tecla Culture and Arts Center (about 150 meters away); One Hundred Years Since the Founding of Santa Tecla (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Adalberto Guirola Children’s Home (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); El Cafetalón (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Monument to the Victims of Las Colinas Landslide (approx. one kilometer away). Click for a list of all markers in Santa Tecla.
1. History and Legend of Saint Tecla (see photo #3).
In the year 48 of the Christian era, in the city of Iconio, in what is now Turkey, the Apostle Paul was preaching in the house of a friend. In front of the house lived Tecla, daughter of Teoclia, a young woman of a rich family, promised in marriage to Tamiris. Tecla was spellbound by the preaching of Paul and decided to follow him. The saint accompanied Paul on his first trip and they went together preaching. Later, Tecla went out on
This monument interprets one of those torments: being attacked in the arena by wild animals, of which she is protected by a lion at her feet. In a new aggression, soldiers were sent to assault her. Saint Tecla prayed to be free from this new torture and to remain pure. The cave she was in collapsed and only her arm was left free. The followers of the saint cut off the arm and took it to Armenia in order to preserve it. When she was finally exhumed, her body was complete, including with both arms intact.
Centuries later, in September 1319, Ramon de Aviñon and the Council of Tarragona, left Barcelona, Spain with letter from King James III for Onsino of Armenia, where it was explained that King James III was interested in the relics of the saint. The king of Armenia in exchange for 40 Andalusian horses, a throne of gold and two thousand cheeses from Mallorca, gave the remains of the arm and some other bones to the committee, that then returned to Barcelona in December 1320. The relics were deposited and preserved in the monastery of San Cugat del Valles, in that same city and the bones of the amputated arm were taken to Tarragona in May 1321, where they are kept in the cathedral dedicated to Saint Tecla´s memory.
— Submitted May 25, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.