Tallassee in Elmore County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Col. Gorgas, ordnance chief, had carbine shop moved here into Tallassee Mfg. Co. mill in spring, 1864 as war threatened Richmond, Va. armory.
War ended before plant neared goal of 6,000 carbines per year.
In 1864 Rousseau's raid bypassed it.
1865: forces under Gen. Wilson misled by faulty map, marched 10 miles east; threat of Forrest barred their return.
Erected 1965 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 32.102′ N, 85° 53.461′ W. Marker is in Tallassee, Alabama, in Elmore County. Marker is at the intersection of Barnett Boulevard (Alabama Route 14) and Outer Drive, on the right when traveling east on Barnett Boulevard. Click for map. Located just west of the Thurlow Dam. Marker is in this post office area: Tallassee AL 36078, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brigadier General Birkett Davenport Fry, CSA / Tallassee Confederate Officers Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Tallassee (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tukabahchi (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tallassee Vietnam War Memorial Tukabatchee / Tokvpvcce (approx. 4.1 miles away); Franklin's Educational Legacy (approx. 6.9 miles away); Site of Thaddeus Post Office (approx. 7.1 miles away); George Stiggins (approx. 9.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tallassee.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 104 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 2. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.