Pigeon Town / Shawnee Village Site
This town was established after the destruction of the Mackachack towns in Dunmore’s War in 1774. It was named for a wild pigeon roost near by. Col. Logan’s army destroyed it in 1786.
Shawnee Village Site
The Shawnee Indians were a five division nation which included 13 gens. At an early date they allied themselves with the British. Gen. Wayne defeated them at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794.
Erected 1951 by Logan County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 17.61′ N, 83° 50.389′ W. Marker is near Bellefontaine, Ohio, in Logan County. Marker is on County Route 30 just west of County Route 201, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4200 Township Road 30 W, Bellefontaine OH 43311, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hull's Army (approx. 3.6 miles away); Highland Gardens Veterans Monument (approx. 4.2 miles away); DeGraff, Ohio Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); The First Permanent (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Town Shawnee Village
Categories. • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.