“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coteau-du-Lac in Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM, Quebec — French Canadian Region

A supply centre / Un poste de ravitaillement

A supply centre / Un poste de ravitaillement Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 6, 2014
1. A supply centre / Un poste de ravitaillement Marker
Captions (English / French): Goods shipped through Coteau-du-Lac during the first quarter of the 19th century. / Marchandises transitées à Coteau-du-lac pendant le premier quart de 19ième siecle.; 1) Nails, iron / Clous, fer. 2) Trade brooches and pendant, silver; McCord Museum collection. / Broches et pendentif de traite, argrent; coll. Musée McCord. 3) Wine bottle, glass / Bouteille de vin, verre. 4) Axe head, iron. / 5) Sickle, steel and wood. / Faucille, acier et bois. 6) Blade of trade knife, called a “crooked knife”, steel. / Lame de couteau de traite, dit «couteau croche», acier.
Inscription. English:
Even before the canal was constructed, Coteau-du-Lac was used as a supply centre for goods being shipped to the Great Lakes posts. In 1779, two storehouses were built on the site: one was reserved for general merchandise, while the other was designed for liquid merchandise, such as rum.

The supply system developed at this time made it possible to gain several days in the spring, when provisions were needed by the more distant posts, which generally ran out of stock by early June. During the fall and winter, merchandise was transported over land routes were loaded onto “batteaux”, which carried them to Carleton Island at the eastern tip of Lake Ontario. From there, the goods were transferred onto larger ships which brought them to their final destination.

Goods for far-away posts on the Great Lakes
The two storehouses built at Coteau-du-Lac were three stories high and covered a surface of 160 square metres. In 1780, the storehouses used for general merchandise held pork on the ground floor, flour on the second floor and biscuits in the attic.

According to the balance sheet for provisions shipped from Lachine and Coteau-du-Lac to Carleton Island in 1780, nearly 900 trips were made by “bateau” to transport the goods needed to supply 6,000 people stationed in various ports on the Great Lakes.

Avant même la construction du canal, Coteau-du-lac devient un centre de ravitaillement destiné à l’expédition des marchandises vers les postes de Grands Lacs. En 1779, deux entrepôts y sont construits: l’un était réservé à l’entreposage des marchandises générales tandis que l’autre était destine aux marchandises liquides, tel le rhum.

Le système d’approvisionnement développé à l’époque permettait de gagner plusieurs jours au printemps, alors que les postes les plus éloignés épuisaient généralement leurs provisions dès le début juin. Durant l’automne et l’hiver, les merchandises étaient transportées par voie de terre depuis Montréal jusqu’a Coteau-du-lac. Au printemps, ces provisions étaient chargées sur des «batteaux» qui assuraient la navette jusqu’à l’île Carleton, à l’entrée du lac Ontario. De là, elles étaient transbordées sur de plus gros navires qui les acheminaient vers leurs destinations définitives.

Des marchandises destinées aup post éloignés des Grands-Lacs.
Les deux entrepôts construits à Coteau-du-lac couvraient une superficie de 160 mètres carrés et comportaient 3 niveaux. En 1780, l’entrepôt réservé aux marchandises générales contenait du porc au rez-de-chaussée, de la farine à l’étage et des biscuits au grenier.

D’après le bilan des provisions expédiées de Lachine et de Coteau-du-lac vers l’île Carleton en 1780, près de 900 voyages de «batteaux» ont acheminé les denrées nécessaires à l’approvisionnement de 6 000 personnes réparties dans les différents postes des Grands-Lacs.
Location. 45° 17.247′ N, 74° 10.567′ W. Marker is in Coteau-du-Lac, Quebec, in Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM. Marker can be reached from Chemin du Fleuve just from Rue du Fort, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 Chemin du Fleuve, Coteau-du-Lac, Quebec J0P 1B0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A canal excavated in the rock (a few steps from this marker); The construction of the canal (a few steps from this marker); What is a lock canal? (a few steps from this marker); North blockhouse / Le blockhaus nord (within shouting distance of this marker); A canal that must be preserved (within shouting distance of this marker); Adapting the canal to new needs (within shouting distance of this marker); The first lock canal in North America (within shouting distance of this marker); Why a canal at Coteau-du-Lac? (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Coteau-du-Lac.
More about this marker. This marker is located at Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site.
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar of 1812Waterways & Vessels
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 64 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement