Near Hollywood in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Bellefonte Cemetery / Town of Bellefonte
Before the courthouse was completed, the community selected a location for a cemetery. The highest elevation in Bellefonte's corporate limits was chosen as the town's burial place. The earliest inscribed marker in Bellefonte Cemetery bears the date 1826.
The Civil War exacted a heavy toll on Bellefonte. The Federal Army burned the courthouse and the town never recovered. The town square was sold at public auction in 1878. Only the Bellefonte Cemetery remains of the bustling river port town which was Jackson County's seat of justice from 1828 until November 1868.
A 1936 TVA Survey identified 229 grave plots and 57 inscribed markers in the cemetery. Recent surveys of the cemetery show many graves with plain limestone rocks and numerous unmarked graves.
The Jackson County Historical Association began efforts to preserve the Bellefonte Cemetery in 2005. They placed the marker here to honor those individuals who established the 19th century town of Bellefonte, Alabama.
The Alabama Historical Commission listed the Bellefonte Cemetery in the Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2006.
The Alabama Legislature established Riley's on Mud Creek as a voting site five days after Jackson County was created on December 13, 1819. Shortly thereafter, Stephen Carter and
On December 15, 1821, the Alabama Legislature incorporated 60 acres in Bellefonte. Six years later, the Legislature extended Bellefonte's corporate limits to include 100 acres of land donated to the county by Carter and Higgins.
Bellefonte was selected as Jackson County's first permanent seat of justice and a two-story, brick courthouse was erected in 1828.
Erected 2007 by Jackson County Historical Association.
Location. 34° 42.76′ N, 85° 56.814′ W. Marker is near Hollywood, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is on Bellefonte Road (County Road 33) 0.8 miles east of Lee Highway/John T Reid Parkway (U.S. 72), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the road leading to the TVA's Bellefonte nuclear power plant. Marker is in this post office area: Hollywood AL 35752, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Andrew Jackson (approx. 5.7 miles away); Robert Thomas Scott (approx. 5.7 Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys (approx. 5.7 miles away); Scottsboro Railroad Depot (approx. 5.7 miles away); Town of Section (approx. 9.4 miles away); Crow Town (approx. 11.8 miles away); Fort Harker (approx. 12 miles away); Stevenson Depot and Hotel (approx. 12.3 miles away).
1. Old Martin Inn photos
The old Martin Inn chimney is approximately 0.2 miles East of the marker on County Rd 33. It is on the property of a local business and may not be accessible, but is easily viewed from the road.
— Submitted April 27, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,345 times since then and 208 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.