“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Birmingham in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

A.B. Loveman House

A.B. Loveman House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 2, 2011
1. A.B. Loveman House Marker
Inscription. The house was built c. 1908 for Adolph B. Loveman, a Hungarian immigrant who in 1887 founded the dry goods business that evolved into one of Birmingham’s signature retail establishments, Loveman, Joseph & Loeb. Its English-style neighbor to the north on the Circle was built at the same time for Adolph’s eldest son Joseph.

A fine example of early 20th-century Neoclassicism, the simple block of the house is made monumental by the richly detailed and pedimented portico with its clustered Corinthian columns and detail moldings. Although the identity of the architect is obscure, it is attributed to the firm of Wheelock, Joy and Wheelock. It is thought to have been at least partially designed by Thomas U. Walter III, grandson of U.S. Capitol architect Thomas Ustick Walter. Facing incipient blindness, Mr. Walter retired from the profession about 1905 and his designs were fulfilled by other firms.

The house was in the Loveman family for two generations before Leona Loveman Cronhelm sold it in 1973 to a religious group. Shortly thereafter, the Salvation Army purchased the house as a home for girls who used some of the rooms as a bowling alley.

Back on the market in the early 1980s, attorney David Shelby for use as an office purchased it for himself and his law partner Robert Roden. Shelby restored
A.B. Loveman House Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 2, 2011
2. A.B. Loveman House Marker (side B)
the house retaining original materials and features, creating minimal changes to the interior arrangements and completely refurbishing the exterior. In 2008 Roden purchased the house and again refurbished the office as well as the Carriage House at the rear of the property. The former carriage house had been a secondary residence for the family of A. G. Gaston (1892-1996), a pioneering African-American businessman, whose mother worked as a cook for the Loveman family.

The A. B. Loveman House was included as a part of the Highland Avenue-Rhodes Park Historic District in the national Register of Historic Places in 1977 and expanded in 1982.
Location. 33° 30.464′ N, 86° 46.944′ W. Marker is in Birmingham, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Rhodes Circle, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2956 Rhodes Circle, Birmingham AL 35205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Coe House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Donnelly House (about 500 feet away); Jordan Home (about 600 feet away); Independent Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Alabama - Auburn Football Game
A.B. Loveman House image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, November 2, 2011
3. A.B. Loveman House
(approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Vincent’s Hospital (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Little Theater Clark Memorial Theatre Virginia Samford Theatre (approx. 0.4 miles away); Redmont Park Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Birmingham.
Categories. Notable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 93 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement