Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbine in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of C.C.C. Camp P-71, “Camp Recovery”

 
 
Site of C.C.C. Camp P-71, “Camp Recovery” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., May 30, 2015
1. Site of C.C.C. Camp P-71, “Camp Recovery” Marker
Inscription. Prince William County’s first Civilian Conservation Corps camp, part of the national public relief program during the great Depression, encompassed a 396-acre tract purchased by the Virginia Forest Service and the Federal government from Jane Herrell. Camp construction began with the erection of a fire tower after the first enrollees arrived on October 15, 1933. Army Captain T.H. May commanded the initial 80 officers and men that formed Company 299, 3rd Corps. Chief Warden James M. Russell of the Virginia Forest Service supervised the fire control and forestry work. While officially designated “Camp P-71,” a more fitting name, “Camp Recovery,” won adoption. With over 200 men from New York stationed at the camp, all buildings with the exception of the recreation hall were completed by March 1934. Civilian Conservation Corps occupation of Camp Recovery ended on May 5, 1937. No camp structures have survived.
 
Erected 2014 by Prince William County Historical Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 38° 39.585′ N, 77° 26.438′ W. Marker is in Woodbine, Virginia, in
Site of C.C.C. Camp P-71, “Camp Recovery” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., May 30, 2015
2. Site of C.C.C. Camp P-71, “Camp Recovery” Marker
Prince William County. Marker is on Dumfries Road (Virginia Route 234) 0.1 miles north of Hoadly Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13490 Dumfries Rd, Manassas VA 20112, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quantico Baptist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Colonial Road (approx. 2.8 miles away); Second Prince William County Courthouse (approx. 3.2 miles away but has been reported missing); “Let There Be Lights” (approx. 3.7 miles away); Howison Homestead (approx. 3.7 miles away); John W. Hall Home (approx. 3.8 miles away); Brentsville - County Courthouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); Brentsville - County Jail (approx. 3.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  CCC Camp Recovery – Canova VA. A page dedicated to the story of this site, by the Living New Deal website. (Submitted on May 30, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public Work
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement