Stephenville in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Oak Dale Cemetery
By 1868, the wives of both John Pickard and James Johnson were interred here on Pickard's land; the graves are now unmarked. The first marked burial is that of two-day-old Ruth Ann Johnson (d. 1877).
Local residents established Oak Dale School, which consolidated with Stephenville in 1951. There were also a Baptist church and a Methodist church until the mid-20th century, when they likewise moved to the county seat.
Today, Oak Dale Cemetery is a link to the early settlement, which began to decline in population during the Great Depression and World War II. It is the final resting place of generations of area residents, including military veterans of conflicts dating to the Civil War.
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 32° 17.175′ N, 98° 14.848′ W. Marker is in Stephenville, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is at the intersection of Texas Route 108 and County Route 456, on the left when traveling north on State Route 108. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stephenville TX 76401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan Mill Tabernacle (approx. 8.4 miles away); Daniel Roberts Thornton and Mary Anna (Garland) Thornton (approx. 8.5 miles away); Wesley Chapel Cemetery (approx. 12 miles away); Dublin National Bank (approx. 15 miles away); William T. Miller Grist Mill (approx. 15 miles away); Dr Pepper Texas (approx. 15 miles away); Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company (approx. 15 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.