“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Ante-Bellum Cotton Mills 1840

Ante~ Bellum Cotton Mills 1840 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 24, 2009
1. Ante~ Bellum Cotton Mills 1840 Marker
Inscription. About one mile west of here is the site of the Globe Cotton Factory which was erected on Cypress Creek in 1840. By 1857 its operations included three cotton mills, a flour mill, and two corn mills, all powered by the use of three dams. By 1860 the factory employed 310 people, including a large number of women and children, at average salaries of $2.50 per week. These mills were burned by the Union Army in May 1863. One factory called Cypress Mill, was re-built after the war, but its operation was never successful.
Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence, Alabama.
Location. 34° 49.109′ N, 87° 41.643′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Appleby Blvd. and Cypress Mill Road on Appleby Blvd.. Click for map. Located by Hibbett Middle School on Appleby Blvd. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Florence's Early Water Tower 1890 (approx. half a mile away); Gilbert Elementary School (approx. 0.6 miles away); College Place Historic District (approx. mile away); Homer Givens (approx. 0.8 miles away); Capture of John A.Murrell (approx. 0.8 miles away); The University of North Alabama (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pesthouse and Cemetery / Pestilences (approx. 0.9 miles away); World War I Memorial Trees (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . .
1. Lauderdale County History of the Shoals page 6. Cotton mills open The cotton industry came to East Florence in a big way in January 1893, when the Mountain Mills Co. moved from Barton and was renamed the Cherry Cotton Mills. Col. N. F. Cherry, Nial Elting and Charles M. Brandon were the owners. The Mill operated into the Great Depression of the 1930s. Elting, who came from New York, and R. L. Bliss organized the First National Bank of Florence. Charles Brandon, a local resident, became a major supporter of public education in East Florence; Brandon School today bears his name. The Ashcraft Cotton Mill was formed from the Florence Cotton Oil Co. in 1899. In 1927, the name was changed to the Florence Cotton Mill, which closed in the mid-1940s. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

2. Book by William McDonald page 73. About the Mills, People and Mansions The Cypress Mills Located North West of Florence in 1885, was a Forerunner of Cherry Cotton Mill. (Submitted on September 2, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
Categories. Antebellum South, USIndustry & CommerceNotable Events
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 2,586 times since then and 110 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photo   1. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement