Birthplace of Des Moines
This cabin is a memorial to the military outpost, Fort Des Moines No. 2, occupied by Company I, First Regiment U. S. Dragoons and Company F First U. S. Infantry. The Fort was the second of three military installations named Fort Des Moines.
In 1846, the City was established near this site at the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers.
In time, all the original Fort buildings disappeared. This circa 1840's log cabin was moved from Washington County, Iowa to this site in 1964 by the Polk County Historical Society.
Erected 1964 by Polk County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 34.916′ N, 93° 37.005′ W. Marker is in Des Moines, Iowa, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of SW 1st Street and West Martin Luther King Pkwy, on the left when traveling north on SW 1st Street. Click for map. Presently road closed for bridge construction but can be accessed by using SW 2nd Street and driving through parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Des Moines IA 50309, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dragoon Trail Historical Site Marker No. 7 (about 300 feet away, measured
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Juris Bets of Des Moines, Iowa. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 23 times this year. Last updated on , by Benjamin M. Snyder of Ankeny, Iowa. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Juris Bets of Des Moines, Iowa. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Benjamin M. Snyder of Ankeny, Iowa. 5. submitted on , by Juris Bets of Des Moines, Iowa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.