Big Spring Hotel
Because of its proximity to the railroad, the business prospered. In 1860 when Captain Samuel Speese was the hotel keeper, the 3rd floor was added and the basement was dug out. In September of 1862 Captain Speese enlisted in the 13th Pennsylvania Cavalry, but resigned his commission 10 ½ months later due to the press of business.
In the meeting rooms of this hotel the Big Spring Turnpike was planned, and later the ill-fated Harrisburg and Potomac Railroad organized, and later still, the Newville High School Alumni Association organized.
With Ahlís bankruptcy in 1893 the hotel was sold for $4000 to S.D. Mowery, who also went bankrupt then George Dock Frey purchased it in 1916 for $3,420. From 1920 until 1923 the building was leased to the Pennsylvania State Police Training School. Afterwards the building was turned into apartments, and was finally demolished in the late 1950s.
Location. 40° 10.018′ N, 77° 24.104′ W. Marker is in Newville, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and Big Spring
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. State Police School (here, next to this marker); First United Presbyterian Church and Manse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Byers-Eckels House (about 600 feet away); Newville Trolley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First National Bank of Newville (approx. 0.4 miles away); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); William Denning (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newville.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.