With the advent of cheap hydro-electric power in the 1800ís trolleys, which were powered by electricity, could offer lower fares than railroads, and for short trips this method of travel became popular in the Cumberland Valley.
Because this line was a latecomer to the scene and automobiles were becoming popular, it failed to attract sufficient riders to keep it profitable. Even the trolley park east of Newville with its picnic grounds could not forestall the inevitable and the last trolley ran on Sunday October 31, 1920. The tracks were removed in 1921.
(Inscription below the photo in the upper center)
L-R John Koch, H.B. (Ping) Koser, Bruce Bowman
(Inscription below the photo in the lower right)
Trolley in front of the J.S. Elliott home on Big Spring Avenue. The building housing the Elliott Coffee Company is shown behind the house.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Byers-Eckels House (within shouting distance of this marker); First United Presbyterian Church and Manse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); State Police School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Spring Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Newville War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First National Bank of Newville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Denning (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newville.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.