Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Union in Monroe County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Union

 
 
Union Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 30, 2015
1. Union Marker
Inscription. Settled in 1774 by James Alexander, who later served in Revolutionary Army. County organized at his house, 1799. “Walnut Grove,” built by Andrew Beirne, and “Elmwood,” built by the Capertons, fine examples of colonial architecture.
 
Location. 37° 35.481′ N, 80° 32.611′ W. Marker is in Union, West Virginia, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 219) and North Street (West Virginia Route 3), on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. It is at the town hall. Marker is in this post office area: Union WV 24983, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General John Echols (a few steps from this marker); William Porcher Miles (within shouting distance of this marker); Crook's Occupation of Union (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop Matthew W. Clair, Sr. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapman House (about 500 feet away); Gen. John Echols House (about 600 feet away); Union College (about 800 feet away); Civil War Monument (approx. Ľ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Union.
 
Also see . . .  A picture tour of Union and Monroe County. Scroll down (or use Ctrl-F to
Union Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 30, 2015
2. Union Marker
search) for a photograph of Elmwood. Contains many photographs of Union and its fine houses.

“ ‘Elmwood’ built in 1835 , a large brick Jeffersonian Classical Revival house built for Hugh Caperton. Hugh’s son Allen T. Caperton, served in the Confederate Senate and later in the US Senate. Elmwood and the brick barn to the rear are listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places. Since then, the house has been owned by Grover Mitchell and also home to his son Buddy Mitchell who graduated with the UHS class of 1949. The house is now owned by Chris and Anita Zollek. They are renovating the house to become a bed and breakfast with a restaurant.” (Submitted on June 3, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement