Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Wood Avenue Church of Christ
The move was made to the southwest corner of Poplar and Tombigbee Streets in September 1890. That building remained the church's home until March 1, 1970 when it moved to the northeast corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street.
The oldest of all in-city Churches of Christ, Wood avenue has played a significant role in the expansion of the Church of Christ throughout many parts of the world.
Location. 34° 48.247′ N, 87° 40.491′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Tuscaloosa St. and Wood Ave. on Tuscaloosa St.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wood Avenue Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Woodrow Wilson Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Sculpture Relief Books and Learning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walnut Street Historic District Florence Synodical Female College (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church 1888 (about 400 feet away); Regions Bank (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . . Wood Avenue Church of Christ website. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 852 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.