Near Aksu in Aksu (district), Antalya Province, Turkey
The earliest archaeological finds at Perge, a very important city in the region of Pamphylia, date from the end of the fifth millennium B.C. and come from the acropolis. These are followed by uninterrupted layers of habitation beginning in the third millennium B.C. Evidently receiving migration from the Greek mainland, Perge nourished a culturally hybrid environment. In the middle of the first millennium B.C it came under the rule of the lydian and Persian kingdoms respectively. After the arrival of Alexander the Great in 334 B.C. and his death in 330 B.C., it became part of various Hellenistic kingdoms at different times. By the Hellenistic period the habitation on the acropolis had attained the characteristics of a Greek city. It then started to spread to the plain in the south and was surrounded with walls. Perge benefited significantly from the peace provided by the Roman Empire. Most of the remnants visible today come from the Roman period.
The excavations and restorations are carried out by Istanbul University since 1946. The statues and reliefs recovered in the excavations are on display in Antalya Museum.
Pamphylia Bölgesi'nin önemli kentlerinden biri olan Perge'de en erken arkeolojik buluntuları akropolis vermiştir. M.Ö. 5. Bin sonlarına kadar inen
1946 yılından bu yana, Perge'deki kazı ve restorasyon çalışmaları İstanbul Üniversitesi tarafından sürdürülmektedir. Kazılarda ortaya çıkarılan muhteşem heykeltıraşlık yapıtları Antalya Müzesi'nde sergilenmektedir.
Location. 36° 57.602′ N, 30° 51.237′ Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aksu, Antalya Province 07112, Turkey.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Perge (here, next to this marker); Roman Door (within shouting distance of this marker); Macellum / Agora (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Southern Baths (about 150 meters away).
More about this marker. This marker is located at the entrance to the Perge site.
Also see . . . Perga -Wikipeida. Perga was an ancient and important city of Pamphylia, between the rivers Catarrhactes and Cestrus. It was renowned for the worship of Artemis, whose temple stood on a hill outside the town, and in whose honour annual festivals were celebrated. The coins of Perge represent both the goddess and her temple. Alexander the Great occupied Perge with a part of his army after quitting Phaselis, between which two towns the road is described as long and difficult. (Submitted on June 8, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.