Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
"... most excellent shots"
—Chattanooga Campaign —
After the Battle of Chickamauga in September 1863, Union General William S. Rosecrans retreated to Federal-occupied Chattanooga, a strategically vital rail center, where Confederate General Braxton Bragg laid siege from Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge. Union General Ulysses S. Grant took command in October and began his efforts to break the siege. Bragg detached forces under General James Longstreet to attack Knoxville as a diversion. After General William T. Sherman reinforced Grant in November, the Federals attacked the heights and Bragg retreated. The Union army held the city for the rest of the war.
During the siege of Chattanooga in October and November 1863, a Union observation post on Cameron Hill, which looms high over the city, kept watch on the Confederates surrounding Chattanooga. At 1 P.M. on October 2, for example, Capt. A.S. Cole reported from Cameron Hill, "I see an omnibus filled with people driving along top of Missionary Ridge, stopping often, apparently to make observations." On November 24, a little after noon, the Cameron Hill signal station reported the exciting news that "Our forces have carried the works near white house, on Lookout [Mountain]." After the battles for Chattanooga ended, the Federals strengthened the Cameron Hill earthworks, constructed camps, built water works,
In 1862-1863, Confederate troops built artillery batteries on Cameron Hill. After Union General William S. Rosecran's army pushed Confederate General Braxton Bragg's forces out of Middle Tennessee during the Tullahoma Campaign in the summer of 1863, the Federals attacked Chattanooga. On August 21, Colonel John T. Wilder reached the Tennessee River and ordered Captain Eli Lilly's 18th Indiana Light Artillery to bombard the city. The Confederate guns atop Cameron Hill responded but with little effect. Wilder reported that "few of their guns could reach us, being mostly 12-pounder howitzers and 6-pounders rifled. They opened on us with nineteen different guns. One 32-pounder rifled gun covers all on this side. Lilly made most excellent shots, dismounting guns at 2,000 yards." On September 7, Bragg abandoned the Cameron Hill artillery position and left Chattanooga to the Federals.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Location. 35° 3.191′ N, 85° 18.82′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on West 3rd Street west of Power Alley, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. This marker is located at the western end
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Chattanooga, 3d Day, Nov. 25. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Chattanooga, 2d Day, Nov. 24. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Chattanooga, 1st Day, Nov. 23 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Boynton Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Negley's and Wilder's Demonstrations Against Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Re-Opening the Tennessee River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hazen's Raid at Brown's Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Cherokee" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.