Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hershey in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Milton Hershey School

Heritage Center at Kinderhaus

 
 
Milton Hershey School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 31, 2015
1. Milton Hershey School Marker
Inscription. Records indicate that Isaac Hershey, great-grandfather of Milton Hershey, purchased the Kinderhaus property circa 1800. The building is the oldest structure on the Milton Hershey School campus and one of the oldest homes in Derry Township.

In 1826, Isaac Hershey constructed what would become The Homestead. Eventually, Kinderhaus became the property of Israel Hershey, a cousin of Milton Hershey. Milton Hershey purchased the Kinderhaus property from Israel Hershey in 1906. Though not a part of the original land granted to the Hershey Industrial School in 1909, it soon became part of the property and in 1912 became the first building dedicated solely to the housing of students.

Kinderhaus (meaning Children’s Home in German) served as a student home until 1996. During this period the home underwent many physical changes, including removal of trees and the large front porch to accommodate the widening of Horseshoe Pike (now State Road 322) and the addition of a large frame addition to the rear in 1932.

On April 2007, Kinderhaus became home to the Department of School History and the Milton Hershey School Heritage Center at Kinderhaus.

(Inscription under the photo in the upper left)
Kinderhaus, circa 1895.

(Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
Kinderhaus, 1915.

(Inscription under the photo in the upper

Milton Hershey School image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 31, 2015
2. Milton Hershey School
right)
Kinderhaus, 1930.

(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
Kinderhaus, 1977.
 
Erected by Department of School History-Spartans.
 
Location. 40° 16.49′ N, 76° 37.594′ W. Marker is in Hershey, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Governor Road (U.S. 322) and Meadow Lane on East Governor Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hershey PA 17033, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kinderhaus Canna Bed (a few steps from this marker); Kinderhaus “Climbing Tree” (within shouting distance of this marker); The Homestead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Milton S. Hershey (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wildlife Habitat Enhancement (approx. 0.9 miles away); Pennsylvania State Police (approx. 1.1 miles away); Derry Churchyard (approx. 1.2 miles away); Chocolate Workers' Sit-Down Strike (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hershey.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducation

 
Banner-Milton Hershey School Founded 1909 image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 31, 2015
3. Banner-Milton Hershey School Founded 1909
Milton S. Hershey (1857-1945) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, May 31, 2015
4. Milton S. Hershey (1857-1945) Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement