Rogersville in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Lauderdale County High School 1912
Prior to 1912, a private school, Rogersville High School, was housed in a two-story wooden frame building located in this vicinity. On August 7, 1907, an act was passed by the Alabama Legislature to establish a state high school in each county. Communities desiring a high school were required to submit plans for a building, equipment and five acres of land, with a total value of at least $5,000. The property was to be deeded to the state. Governor Emmet O’Neal visited Rogersville in October 1911 and gave his assurance that the high school for Lauderdale County would be located at Rogersville. On October 16, 1911, the trustees of the Rogersville High School Association conveyed to the state five acres of land and the existing building. That school closed on May 17, 1912, with Mr. W. R. Hale as principal. In early May 1912, the County School Board selected Mr. W. L. Davis as principal, and Mrs. W. L. Davis and Mr. C. W. Williams as teachers for the state high school. It opened on September 10, 1912, with 112 students. On May 20, 1913 Rogersville High School, later named Lauderdale County High School, held its first commencement with three graduates. Between 1919 and 1925 two buildings, agricultural and home economics, plus three acres of land were added.
Erected 2013 by East Lauderdale Historical Society.
Location. 34° 49.61′ N, 87° 17.447′ W. Marker is in Rogersville, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and Williams Street, on the left when traveling east on College Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rogersville AL 35652, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Heritage Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Rogersville Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran / Burneys Creek/First Creek Wheeler Lake (approx. 1.7 miles away); General Joseph Wheeler (approx. 2.5 miles away); Covington/Second Creek / Wheeler Dam/Lake (approx. 4.8 miles away); Lucy's Branch/Legacy of The Little Elk Community (approx. 5.2 miles away); The TVA System of Multi-purpose Dams (approx. 5.6 miles away); Elgin/Elgin Crossroads (approx. 5.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rogersville.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 96 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.