Rogersville in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Rogersville Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.
The earliest place of worship in Rogersville was a brush arbor located approximately 200 yards west of this historic location in what is now the old Liberty Cemetery. A building in which several faiths worshipped was later constructed on that site. This property was part of the 158 acres purchased from the U.S. Government by Hugh Porter on March 6, 1819. Hugh and his wife, Sarah, sold part of this land to George Simmons on December 21, 1842. Afterward, the property changed ownership several times. On October 12, 1848, two acres were deeded to the tenants in common: Thomas Davenport, Trustee for the Methodist Episcopal Presbyterian Church; Daniel W. Haraway, Trustee for the Continental Presbyterian Church; Jonathan M. Cunningham, Trustee for Benevolent Division No. 17 Sons of Temperance; and Peter F. Patrick, Trustee for the Freemasons.
The trustees constructed a meeting house on the two-acre lot about 1855 when trust agreement was made with the creditors.
According to Hall's Index of
The property was deeded to the Town of Rogersville on September 20, 1975. In an effort to restore the historic property, a group of local citizens formed the Rogersville Historical Preservation Committee in 1997. Funds were donated by local citizens and a grant was secure by State Representative James Hamilton of Rogersville. A dedication of the restored church and grounds was held on September 28, 1997. The historic church holds the distinction of being the last surviving original place of worship in Rogersville.
Erected 2013 by East Lauderdale Historical Society.
Location. 34° 49.613′ N, 87° 17.762′ W. Marker is in Rogersville, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Street (County Route 66) and Dement Street, on the right when traveling west on Lee Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rogersville AL 35652, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Heritage Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lamb’s Ferry Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lauderdale County High School 1912 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel Burney: 1763-1849 Revolutionary War Veteran / Burneys Creek/First Creek Wheeler Lake (approx. 1.4 miles away); General Joseph Wheeler (approx. 2.2 miles away); Covington/Second Creek / Wheeler Dam/Lake (approx. 4.5 miles away); The TVA System of Multi-purpose Dams (approx. 5.3 miles away); Lucy's Branch/Legacy of The Little Elk Community (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rogersville.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 302 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.