Courtland in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
This circa 1820 house is thought to be one of the oldest houses in Courtland. Occupying a lot platted by the Courtland Land Company in 1818, the house faces North toward what was once the main Tuscumbia Road. Dr. Jack Shackelford (1790-1857) an early settler and legislator, is believed to have lived in this house in the mid 1800s. After a nearby Civil War skirmish, the house served as a military hospital. In 1895 Mrs. Susan Jackson Harris, granddaughter of James Jackson of the famous Forks of Cypress Plantation near Florence and wife of John Hunter Harris of Rosemont Plantation acquired the house. Her daughter Caroline Harris Simpson lived here until 1972 and descendants owned the house until 1995. In 2001 the Alabama Preservation Alliance purchased and placed a protective easement on the property which required all future owners to preserve the house and grounds.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
This is a good example of the early American "I" house, so called for its tall, narrow side profile. The original part of the house is two-stories, with two large rooms and a central hall on both floors. The braced~frame construction, a framing system involving the use of corner post and bracing, is covered with beaded siding. Delicate Federal~period mantelpieces, molded
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 40.067′ N, 87° 18.785′ W. Marker is in Courtland, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Clinton Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in front of home. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 Clinton Avenue, Courtland AL 35618, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Cotton Kingdom (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The African ~ American Experience (about 700 feet away); The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers (about 700 feet away); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (approx. 0.2 miles away); Courtland's Early Architecture (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832 (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Legion - Post 58 (approx. 0.2 miles away); McMahon House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Courtland.
Categories. • 20th Century • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,324 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.