East Brewton in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Fort Crawford
Fort Crawford was established in 1816 by elements of the 7th U.S. Infantry under orders from Major General Andrew Jackson. Purpose was to monitor Spanish activities in West Florida and curtail hostile Creek Indian activities.
Named after Second Lieutenant Joel Crawford, the fort was occupied by units of the regular U.S. Infantry and the Alabama Territorial Militia.
It was abandoned in 1819 after the United States purchased Florida from Spain and the Indian menace abated.
Erected 1983 by the Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 31° 6.028′ N, 87° 3.292′ W. Marker is in East Brewton, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of Shoffner Street (County Road 22) and Weaver Street, on the right when traveling east on Shoffner Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 Shoffner Street, Brewton AL 36426, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Downing-Shofner School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hart Station (approx. one mile away); Bank of Brewton (approx. one mile away); Escambia County Veterans Memorial Ritz Theater (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Leigh Place (approx. 1.1 miles away); Burnt Corn Park Cistern (approx. 1.2 miles away); Union Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Explore Southern History article on Fort Crawford. (Submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Wikipedia article on Lt Joel Crawford. (Submitted on June 14, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.