Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Henry Hess Landis Farm

 
 
Henry Hess Landis Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 14, 2015
1. Henry Hess Landis Farm Marker
Inscription. Isaac C. Landis (1843-1931) established this farmstead around 1870 on a 52-acre parcel. It consisted primarily of the wooden frame house in front of you and a medium-size barn, both painted red. In 1908, the barn burned down and he had it rebuilt. In 1925, Henry Hess Landis (1888-1963) and his wife, Mary Rohrer (Buckwalter) Landis (1889-1977), purchased this property.

Henry Hess Landis, a Mennonite farmer, remodeled the barn to stable 18 milk cows, built a milk house for cooling and bottling, and bought a new truck for a dairy delivery route. He also installed machinery in the barn to grind and bag livestock feed for sale. In about 1936, he sold the dairy route rather than investing in pasteurization equipment. Henry Hess Landis added other businesses to his farm. In the 1930’s, he became a franchised dealer for Case Company farm equipment, and between that decade and the 1950s, he and his family also sold poultry, eggs, lumber, and briefly, groceries. He also held annual auctions of consigned farm equipment. While he switched from the Case franchise to selling Minneapolis-Moline tractors and equipment about 1955, the feed mill remained the family’s main business.

(Inscription below the photo in the lower right)
Landis Valley Dairy Truck , late 1920s.

(Inscription below the photo in the upper center)
Henry H & Mary

Henry Hess Landis Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 14, 2015
2. Henry Hess Landis Farm Marker
Landis Family, 1943.

(Inscription below the photo in the lower center)
In the late 1930s Landis purchased delivery trucks for this livestock feed business. Daughter Emma sits on the running board.

(Inscription below the photo in the upper right)
Isaac Landis Farmstead, c.1900.

(Inscription below the photo in the lower right)
Case tractor and equipment mid 1930s, H.H. Landis to right of the sign.

The museum thanks the children and grandchildren of Henry H. and Mary Landis for providing history and images for this display.
 
Location. 40° 5.636′ N, 76° 16.854′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Kissel Hill Road. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Landis Valley Village and Farm Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2451 Kissel Hill Road, Lancaster PA 17601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isaac Long Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Fulton Reynolds (approx. 3.5 miles away); John Durang (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wheatland (approx. 3.7 miles away); Revolutionary War Stables (approx. 3.7 miles away); Military Stables and Barracks

Henry Hess Landis Farm House image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 14, 2015
3. Henry Hess Landis Farm House
(Inscription on the marker in front of the farm house) Building 22-Issac Landis Complex-House and barn constructed c1875. The buildings were sold in 1927 to Henry Hess Landis who added the feed mill.
(approx. 3.7 miles away); Pennsylvania Medical Society (approx. 3.8 miles away); Simon Snyder (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement