Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Maxwelton (Circa 1855-1860)
Erected 1993 by Shelby County Historical Commission and John Sneed Ewell.
Location. 35° 6.911′ N, 89° 57.521′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Old Southern Avenue 0.1 miles east of Semmes. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3083 Old Southern Ave,, Memphis TN 38111, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarence Saunders' "Pink Palace" (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mt. Moriah Baptist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Orange Mound The University of Memphis (approx. 1.1 miles away); Normal Depot (approx. 1.2 miles away); Normal Station Neighborhood (approx. 1.2 miles away); J. Millard "Jack" Smith (approx. 1.2 miles away); Tom (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Memphis.
Regarding Maxwelton (Circa 1855-1860). Maxwelton has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1980. Its item number is 80003866 NRIS (National Register Information System).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Candle Stand from Maxwelton now in the collection of the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art. This entry gives further information about Judge John Louis Taylor Sneed (1820-1901), who purchased the house before 1874. (Submitted on June 16, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.