Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Kentucky State University
School was chartered 1886; opened 1887 with three teachers and 55 students. The first state-supported institution of higher education for blacks, school gained funds from legislature for building and teachers, and from Frankfort city council for site and clearing of grounds. Kentucky State accredited as four year college in 1931; achieved university status in 1972. Over.
John H. Jackson, before becoming first president of college, headed black teachers' association in Kentucky and promoted establishment of schools for instruction of black teachers. His efforts led to legislation founding college which became Kentucky State. He served 1887-98 and 1907-10. First permanent building, Jackson Hall, was named for him. Hall listed on National Register.
Erected 1984 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 1752.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 12.16′ N, 84° 51.486′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on University Drive, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in front of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frankfort (approx. half a mile away); Daniel Boone - Pioneer / Grave of Daniel Boone (approx. half a mile away); Frankfort State Hospital And School Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lt. Presley N. O'Bannon, USMC (approx. 0.7 miles away); Daniel Boone's Grave (approx. ¾ mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); State Arsenal (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Old Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Frankfort.
Also see . . . Kentucky State University. (Submitted on June 17, 2015, by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dave Knoch of Scott County, Kentucky. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.