Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Ballast Point Lighthouse, San Diego

 
 
Old Ballast Point Lighthouse, San Diego Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 30, 2015
1. Old Ballast Point Lighthouse, San Diego Marker
Inscription. Established Aug. 1, 1890, Ballast Point Light Station was a fine example of “railroad Gothic” and lasted until 1866, when it was replaced by a light on top of a slender steel tower, and new quarters were built for the Coast Guard personnel who maintain it. The original lantern and sixth order fixed white lens, ground in France by Saulther-Le Monnier, is preserved at the Cabrillo National Monument, surrounding the old lighthouse on top of Point Loma.

In 1906 Hanorah Flynn and her three children came to live with her father Capt. Splaine at Ballast Point. David Flynn was a young man of 12 at the time, and he spent many hours exploring and playing on the point. He helped his grandfather tend the small, 5th Order lens that guided sailors past Middle Ground Shoal and into the harbor. On weekends he rowed soldiers form Ft. Rosencrans to North Island for outings, and let them row back to sober up.
 
Location. 32° 45.107′ N, 117° 11.725′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Congress Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2481 Congress Street, San Diego CA 92110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Adobe Chapel of The Immaculate Conception
Lantern of the Old Ballast Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 30, 2015
2. Lantern of the Old Ballast Point Lighthouse
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Whaley House (about 400 feet away); Casa de Lopez (about 500 feet away); Lt. George H. Derby (about 500 feet away); The Gravedigger of Old Town (about 600 feet away); Don Antonio Aguirre (about 600 feet away); Old Town San Diego (about 600 feet away); Father Antonio Ubach (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Diego.
 
Also see . . .  Ballast Point, CA. Lighthouse Friends. (Submitted on June 19, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
Lantern of The Old Ballast Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 30, 2015
3. Lantern of The Old Ballast Point Lighthouse
“The whereabouts of the Ballast Point lantern room was a mystery to almost everyone until it was placed on display outside West Sea Company, a nautical antiques store in San Diegoís Old Town. In early 1998, Rod Cardoza, co-owner of West Sea Company, noticed a classified ad in the local paper that read, “HISTORICAL Lighthouse, Dallas [sic] Point, 1880ís, minimum bid $15,000.” Intrigued, he called the number on the ad and shortly thereafter traveled to Bonita to view what turned out to be the lantern room from Ballast Point Lighthouse at the home of Homer Hudson. Cardoza hired a crane to have the lantern room lifted over nearby power lines and placed on a flat-bed truck. After being delivered to his store, the lantern room was placed on a cement pad, where, fitted with new glass panes and covered in a fresh coat of paint, it can be viewed today.

The nation was just recovering from the Cuban Missile Crisis, when, in February 1964, the Cuban government cut off the fresh water supply to the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo Bay. An experimental desalinization plant had been in operation at Point Loma for just over two years, and the Navy ordered it dismantled and shipped through the Panama Canal to Guantanamo Bay. Homer Hudson, who sold the lantern room to Cardoza, was working as a crane operator as part of the team disassembling the desalinization plant when he noticed the interesting artifact lying nearby. He inquired if he could purchase the lantern room and was told that he could have it if he would haul it away. Soon the lantern was serving as a gazebo in Hudsonís garden, and there it remained for thirty-four years.“ — Lighthouse Friends.
The Old Ballast Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 30, 2015
4. The Old Ballast Point Lighthouse
Close-up of photo on marker
The Old Ballast Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 30, 2015
5. The Old Ballast Point Lighthouse
Close-up of photo on marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement