Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Lowndes County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Baldwin Locomotive No. 601

 
 
Baldwin Locomotive Marker image. Click for full size.
By Davis Darryl Hartness, August 23, 2007
1. Baldwin Locomotive Marker
Inscription. Built in 1946 as the first “Road Switcher” of its type in U.S. Columbus and Greenville Railway’s first diesel powered locomotive. Retired in 1984 after thirty-eight years on freight and passenger trains.
 
Erected 1987 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
 
Location. 33° 29.991′ N, 88° 24.725′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Mississippi, in Lowndes County. Marker is on 3rd Avenue North west of 19th Street North. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus MS 39701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mississippi State College for Women (approx. 0.6 miles away); Military Road (approx. 0.7 miles away); Walter "Red" Barber (approx. 0.7 miles away); James T. Harrison Home (approx. 0.7 miles away); Joshua Lawrence Meador (approx. 0.7 miles away); Demonstration School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Church of the Annunciation (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Columbus (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Columbus and Greenville Railway Information
Baldwin Locomotive and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Davis Darryl Hartness, July 2, 2008
2. Baldwin Locomotive and Marker
. “The [new] C&G began operation on October 29, 1975, as a railroad common carrier between Columbus and Greenville, Mississippi. The property which C&G owns and operates includes approximately 207 miles of mainline track and 104 miles of sidetrack. ... When the C&G was organized in 1974, its goal was to acquire from the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad the trackage and other assets operated by the predecessor company and to rehabilitate it.” (Submitted on June 21, 2008.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. The Columbus and Greenville Railway Company
The original Columbus and Greenville Railway company ran passenger trains between Columbus and Greenville, Mississippi. The May 1944 Official Guide of the Railways shows a named train, The Deltan, with air-conditioned coaches, running daily between Greenville and Columbus. The train left Greenville at 6:15 AM and arrived Columbus at 11:55 AM. The return trip left Columbus at 1:05 PM arriving Greenville at 7:15 PM after a 30 minute stop in Winona at 3:50 PM. A mixed train (passenger and freight) ran Columbus–Greenville in the morning and Greenville–Columbus in the afternoon. The timetable mileage between Columbus and Greenville was 168 miles.
Baldwin Locomotive Right Front image. Click for full size.
By Davis Darryl Hartness, July 2, 2008
3. Baldwin Locomotive Right Front
    — Submitted June 21, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.

 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Baldwin Locomotive Side image. Click for full size.
By Davis Darryl Hartness, July 2, 2008
4. Baldwin Locomotive Side
Columbus & Greenville Railroad Building image. Click for full size.
By Davis Darryl Hartness, July 2, 2008
5. Columbus & Greenville Railroad Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 1,874 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Davis Darryl Hartness of Columbus, Mississippi. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement