Near Round Top in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
An extensive tract of land purchased in 1843 for colonization by German emigrants. Named for Duke Adolf of Nassau, protector of the emigration society, it was once one of the show places of Texas.
Although the 4,428 acres could have been a good half-way station for German colonists on the long journey to western lands, this use was rejected by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels, the commissioner general of the "Adelsverein", or German Emigration Society. He feared that the site, which was close to non-German settlements, would cause his people to lose their distinctive national culture.
Though never colonized, Nassau became a welcome place for relaxation during trying periods of the emigration movement. Here the prince enjoyed horse racing and held feasts costing thousands of dollars. His successor as commissioner, John O. Meusebach, came to Nassau for less extravagant entertainment.
The main dwelling on the plantation was built of oak, two stories high. Even in frontier days it had two glass windows. Cotton was grown on the lands.
In 1848 the bankrupt Adelsverein sold Nassau. It was later divided into small farms, cultivated by descendants of the original German pioneers.
Location. 30° 4.204′ N, 96° 39.13′ W. Marker is near Round Top, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 1457 and Wolff Road (County Road 279), on the right when traveling east on Road 1457. Click for map. Located on southwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Round Top TX 78954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winedale Stagecoach Inn (approx. 1.3 miles away); Samuel Knight Lewis (approx. 1.5 miles away); Round Top Community (approx. 2.6 miles away); Early Texas Hotels and Inns (approx. 2.6 miles away); Wandke House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Town of Shelby (approx. 4.6 miles away); Henniger Family Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Greenvine Gas Discovery (approx. 6.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Round Top.
Also see . . . Nassau Farm article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 22, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.