Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Eastman in Dodge County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Orphans Cemetery

 
 
Orphan's Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 29, 2006
1. Orphan's Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Albert G. Williamson, a Dodge County entrepreneur, donated land for a burial place in Orphans community following the death of a neighbor’s child, George P.A. Barnes, in 1887. The community was named in honor of the six orphaned Williamson brothers who moved here in 1873-74 from North Carolina. The earliest burials were children of the Thomas, Weldy, and Lashley families. Other common names in the original acre are Hardy, Manley, Steele, Stuckey, and Williamson. The statuary above their mausoleum depicts A.G. and Martha Buchan Williamson and their nephew, Jay Gould.
 
Erected 1999 by the Georgia Historic Society, Orphans Cemetery Association, and Dodge Historical Society. (Marker Number 45-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 12.474′ N, 83° 12.966′ W. Marker is near Eastman, Georgia, in Dodge County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Firetower Road and Orphans Cemetery Road at Firetower Road. Click for map. Firetower Road may also be named Harp Road. Marker is in the cemetery at this intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Eastman GA 31023, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Small Marker in Orphans Cemetery, with marker visible in distance image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 29, 2006
2. Small Marker in Orphans Cemetery, with marker visible in distance
“Orphans Cemetery is sacred to the honor of the Christian Faith and the memory of those interred herein. — 1909 Orphans Cemetery Association. Trustees L.C. Smith, L.R.G. Williamson & L.N. Pinnell.”
15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Blackshear Road (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 2.2 miles away); Dodge County (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Eastman School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Stuckey's (approx. 3.2 miles away); Normandale (approx. 12.3 miles away); Lucian A. Whipple (approx. 14.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eastman.
 
Regarding Orphans Cemetery. A prominent memorial in this cemetery is a stone routunda atop a crypt sheltering a statues of Albert and Martha Williamson, seated, with their young nephew, Jay Gould, standing behind them.
 
Additional comments.
1. Jay Gould Williamson is not the Jay Gould
The nephew Jay Gould, standing with the Williamsons in the statue in Photo No. 3, should not be confused with Jason “Jay” Gould, the financier and railroad developer of the late 1800s.
    — Submitted December 17, 2010.

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesNotable Persons
 
Williamson Graves image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2006
3. Williamson Graves
With statues of A. G. Williamson, Martha Williamson, and their nephew, Jay Gould Williamson
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,189 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement