Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute

 
 
Charles Lang Freer House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
1. Charles Lang Freer House Marker
Inscription.
Charles Lang Freer House
Detroit industrialist Charles Lang Freer prospered primarily as a railroad car manufacturer. This house, considered Michigan's finest example of the Shingle Style, was designed by Wilson Eyre Jr. of Philadelphia and built in 1890, Here Freer (1854-1919) assembled one of the most extensive Asian art collections in the world. He also collected Pewabic Pottery and the work of contemporary American artists such as Whistler, Dewing, and Tryon. A 1905 addition incorporated, the "Peacock Room," decorated by James Whistler, which was removed from a house in England and transported here as part of Freer's art collection. In 1906 he donated his collection and the Peacock Room to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

Merrill-Palmer Institute
This house was built for industrialist Charles Lang Freer in 1890. Upon Freer's death in 1919, the executors of the will of Lizzie Merrill-Palmer purchased the house for use as a school devoted to improving the quality of parenting. This school became what is now known as the Merrill-Palmer Institute, one of the first institutes of child development established in the United States. Merrill-Palmer's model, combining study, research, and work with children, was widely copied in other locations nationally.
Merrill-Palmer Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
2. Merrill-Palmer Institute Marker
Its preschool, opened in 1922, led the development of preschool education and childcare across the nation. In 1981 the Merrill-Palmer Institute became part of Wayne State University.
 
Erected 2003 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number S325.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 21.702′ N, 83° 3.955′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on East Ferry Street 0.1 miles east of Michigan Route 1, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 71 East Ferry Street, Detroit MI 48202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis College of Business (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Robert Pauli Scherer (about 400 feet away); Omega Psi Phi (about 500 feet away); Detroit Association of Women's Clubs (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scarab Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wayne State University (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Congregational Church of Detroit (approx. half a mile away); Thompson Home (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .
Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute and marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
3. Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute and marker

1. Freer House website at Wayne State University. (Submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
2. Freer Gallery of Art at the Smithsonian. (Submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
3. Shingle Style Architectrue in Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
4. The Peacock Room at the Smithsonian. (Submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
5. Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute for Child and Family Development at Wayne State University. (Submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducation
 
Charles Lang Freer House image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
4. Charles Lang Freer House
National Register of Historic Places plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
5. National Register of Historic Places plaque
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement