Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Detroit Association of Women's Clubs

 
 
Detroit Association of Women's Clubs Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
1. Detroit Association of Women's Clubs Marker
Inscription. The Detroit Association of Colored Women's Clubs was organized on April 8, 1921, with eight clubs. This association reached its peak membership in 1945 with 73 clubs and 3,000 members. Affiliated with the Michigan and National Associations of Colored Women's Clubs, the Detroit association fosters educational, philanthropic and social programs. The association was incorporated in 1941. That same year, supported by a mortgage on its president's home, the association purchased its present clubhouse, a handsome Colonial Revival style structure. The club members completely paid for the clubhouse in less than five years. The association sponsors girls' clubs, scholarships, annual clothing drives for needy school children and charitable programs for seniors and the dispossessed. Its motto is "Lifting As We Climb."
 
Erected 1986. (Marker Number L1207.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 21.764′ N, 83° 3.761′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Brush Street and East Ferry Street, on the right when traveling south on Brush Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5461 Brush Street, Detroit MI 48202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Detroit Association of Women's Clubs image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., June 3, 2015
2. Detroit Association of Women's Clubs
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omega Psi Phi (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis College of Business (about 600 feet away); Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Pauli Scherer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scarab Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Congregational Church of Detroit (approx. half a mile away); Wayne State University (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Historical Background of Detroit Association of Women Clubs. (Submitted on June 23, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. African AmericansCharity & Public Work
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement