Near Marlin in Falls County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Falls of the Brazos River
Organized in 1850, Falls County was named for this distinctive landmark. Marlin became the county seat in 1851, and Bucksnort soon disappeared. The Brazos River changed course in 1866, moving the Fall line to the present site and lowering the rapids to about 2 feet. Today a county park is located along both sides of the river at the falls.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1563.)
Location. 31° 14.948′ N, 96° 55.236′ W. Marker is near Marlin, Texas, in Falls County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 712 west of County Road 301, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located in Falls of the Brazos County Park. Park near the store building. Marker is in the playground south of the parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 644 FM 712, Marlin TX 76661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Bucksnort (approx. 2.3 miles away); Indian Battlefield (approx. 10.3 miles away); Judge Albert G. and Harriet Elizabeth Grimes Perry (approx. 10.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Falls County article in Handbook of Texas. The article describes the history of the area around the falls. (Submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
2. Falls On The Brazos Park. (Submitted on June 25, 2015.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.