“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Marlin in Falls County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Site of Bucksnort

Bucksnort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, June 10, 2015
1. Bucksnort Marker
Inscription. This area was first settled in 1837 by members of the Marlin and Menefee families. The settlement grew steadily, and for a time was known as Jarett Menefee's Supply Station. By the 1840s the village boasted a school, general store, blacksmith shop, racetrack, stable, saloon, stagecoach stop, and post office. According to local legend, the name Bucksnort was coined by an inebriated patron of the saloon. By the 1850s, as settlers moved into other areas in the county, Bucksnort was no longer a viable community.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 556.)
Location. 31° 16.383′ N, 96° 53.647′ W. Marker is near Marlin, Texas, in Falls County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 712 0.4 miles east of Old Falls Road (County Route 287), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marlin TX 76661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Falls of the Brazos River (approx. 2.3 miles away); Indian Battlefield (approx. 8.7 miles away); Judge Albert G. and Harriet Elizabeth Grimes Perry (approx. 8.7 miles away).
Also see . . .  Bucksnort, Texas, article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 72 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement