Near College Corner in Preble County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Historic Hopewell / Historic Hopewell Cemetery
The Hopewell Associate Reformed Church and Cemetery, now known as Historic Hopewell, was founded in 1808 in a log building that was replaced in 1826 with the present building. It was built by the area's first settlers, mainly Scotch-Irish who left Kentucky and South Carolina because of their opposition to slavery. The church encouraged worship by African Americans and played an important role in the Underground Railroad. It became the parent church for four "Daughter" Presbyterian congregations: Fairhaven in 1835, Oxford in 1837, College Corner in 1849, and Morning Sun in 1876. Reverend Alexander Porter, the first pastor, was committed to education and constructed a school near the Hopewell Spring that still produces clear water. "Old Hopewell" was completely refurbished in 1880, but by 1915 the membership declined and regular services discontinued. Today Hopewell holds Sunday services in the summer and is maintained by a generous and devoted group of volunteers.
The Hopewell Cemetery was the first public cemetery in Israel Township. Thomas McDill, who died in 1813 after returning home from the War of 1812 in ill health, was the first person buried here. The cemetery is estimated to have over 1000 graves in the original
Erected 2008 by Historic Hopewell The Ohio Historical Socoety. (Marker Number 7- 68.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 36.178′ N, 84° 45.614′ W. Marker is near College Corner, Ohio, in Preble County. Marker is on Camden College Corner Rd (County Route 24), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6471 Camden College Corner Rd, College Corner OH 45003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Doty Settlement / The Pioneer Farmstead The Restoration Movement / Doty Settlement Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Black (Pugh's Mill) Covered Bridge (approx. 5.6 miles away); Camden War Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.5 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 6.7 miles away); The Legend of the Baby in the Well (approx. 6.7 miles away); William Holmes McGuffey House (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 197 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.