Green Elm School, District 41
Green Elm School was a one-room school house built in the 1870's in southeast Kansas. It was located in the southwest corner of Crawford County, seven miles north and one mile west of McCune, Kansas. The school held classes 1872-1955 and employed sixty-six different teachers. The school's name was based upon an elm tree located near the school.
The school was also used as a church until October 1910. The organization of the United Chapel Church first began meeting and worship services in the Green Elm school house in 1883, which was located one mile north of the present church.
Many of the teachers were only a year or two older than the students and their first teaching contracts lasted only three months. They were boarded at area homes during their contracts. One teacher had the responsibility of teaching all of the students, ranging from first grade to eighth grade.
The school was heated by a large coal stove, to which the teacher and larger boys hauled coal from the coal shed south of the school. The teacher also carried a bucket of water from a nearby well inside the school house, from which everyone drank with a cup or dipper.
Nearly all of the students walked to school on dirt roads, as none were paved or covered with crushed rock. The students enjoyed two recesses and a noon play time. A big slide and swings
The school was moved to the George E. Nettles Elementary School playground in Pittsburg, in 1976. It was moved to the museum property in March 1981, where it has been enjoyed immensely by visitors for several decades.
Erected by Crawford County Historical Museum.
Location. 37° 25.979′ N, 94° 42.781′ W. Marker is in Pittsburg, Kansas, in Crawford County. Marker is on U.S. 69 0.7 miles south of Atkinson Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Crawford County Historical Museum, accessed by the Frontage Road to the west of the US Hwy 69 Bypass. Marker is at or near this postal address: 651 South US Highway 69, Pittsburg KS 66762, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. H. R. Brown's Grocery Store (here, next to this marker); Pittsburg Kansas (within shouting distance of this marker); Cow Creek Skirmish (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilkinson Coal Company Steam Shovel (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuller American Legion Post #64 Veterans Memorial
Also see . . .
1. Crawford County Railroads and Schools in Cutler's History of the State of Kansas (1883). (Submitted on June 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Crawford County KS One-Room School List. (Submitted on June 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Green Elm School. (Submitted on June 26, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.