“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Grantsville in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The National Pike

Spruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk

The National Pike Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 22, 2015
1. The National Pike Marker
Inscription. In 1806 Congress authorized and funded the construction of a National Road from Cumberland, MD to the Ohio River at Wheeling, WV. This National Road, also known as the National Pike or Cumberland Road, was our nation's first highway and truly the "gateway to the west."

During the Golden Age of "The Pike", 1842-1852, traffic on the road was immense. Up to fourteen stagecoaches per day, each way, used the road to carry passengers as far as the western frontier. Three daily mail coaches, each way, ran between Cumberland, MD and Uniontown, PA, with regular stops to change horses at Frostburg, Keyser's Ridge and Addison. Traffic on the road included not only stagecoaches, freighters and Conestogas, but also droves of cattle, sheep, pigs and turkeys.

Public inns, legally known as Ordinaries, flanked the highway, about one per mile. Three of the finest inns are local and have been preserved to this day. Little Crossings Inn, now Penn Alps Restaurant, is a prime log structure thought to be the only remaining one of its kind on the road. The Casselman Hotel in Grantsville is a fine hand-burned brick building. Tomlinson's stately Stone House Inn is located several miles east on The Pike. Little Crossings Inn and Tomlinson's served largely as stagecoach stops, while the Casselman was well equipped for drovers, with a large
The National Pike Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, June 22, 2015
2. The National Pike Marker
corral nearby.

Congressional appropriations for the National Road continued until 1835, when the states assumed control and erected toll gates and mileage posts. From 1852 to 1912, railroads gained dominance and The Pike declined. Stagecoaches and mail coaches stopped running about 1907. However, the advent of the automobile brought new life. Today, The Pike, along with the two parallel roads and bridges at Little Crossing, tells the story of westward expansion and regional development.
Location. 39° 41.811′ N, 79° 8.537′ W. Marker is near Grantsville, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker can be reached from Casselman Road 0.2 miles west of National Pike (Alternate U.S. 40). Click for map. Located in Spruce Village Artisan Village. Marker is in this post office area: Grantsville MD 21536, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mountain Maryland Gateway to the West (a few steps from this marker); Castlemanís River Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Yoder House (within shouting distance of this marker); Casselman River Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Little Crossings (about 500 feet away); Stantonís Mill (about 600 feet away); Crash of a United States B-52 Bomber (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Inns (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Grantsville.
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Old National Pike. (Submitted on June 28, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement