Kings Creek Baptist Church
The founders of what would become the Kings Creek Baptist Church first met on June 29, 1805 in the log home of local residents James and Ann Turner. The Baptist congregation continued to meet in people's homes until 1816 when Taylortown founder John Taylor donated an acre of land to establish a burying site and a meetinghouse. Constructed of logs, this meetinghouse is considered to be the third Baptist church built in Ohio and the Northwest Territory. The original structure was replaced by a more substantial brick building in 1832, and the present Kings Creek Baptist Church was built on the original foundation in 1849. The church features classic Greek design and a grand steeple inspired by the work of the English architect Sir Christopher Wren. An educational wing was added in 1969.
The Kings Creek Baptist Church and site is known for several prominent events. Richard Stanhope, an African American who served as General George Washington's personal valet at Valley Forge, was an early member. Church members also expressed a strong missionary spirit as they helped build fellowships in nearby Urbana, Mechanicsburg, Mingo, DeGraff, and Bellefontaine. Surrounding the church is the cemetery that opened in December 1819 with the burial of early church founder Ann Turner. Veterans of every American
Erected 2005 by Kings Creek Baptist Church Champaign County Bicentennial Historical Marker Committee The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12- 11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 9.694′ N, 83° 43.541′ W. Marker is in Urbana, Ohio, in Champaign County. Marker is at the intersection of Kennard- Kings Creek Road (County Route 130) and East Kings Creek Road (County Route 125), on the left when traveling north on Kennard- Kings Creek Road. Click for map. marker is in the unincorporated village of Kings Creek, Ohio. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1250 Kennard-Kings Creek Road, Urbana OH 43078, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warren G. Grimes / Grimes Field (approx. 2.4 miles away); Hull's Headquarters (approx. 3.5 miles away); President Lincolnís Funeral Train in Urbana War Council of 1812 (approx. 3.7 miles away); General Robert Lawrence Eichelberger (approx. 3.8 miles away); Harmony Lodge No. 8 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 3.8 miles away); Champaign County Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away); Simon Kenton (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Urbana.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.