Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lifeboat Station
The U.S. Life Saving Service became a separate organization in 1878, and the following year Lifeboat Station No. 5 was relocated to lighthouse land at the foot of the south pier. In 1900, the boathouse was rebuilt and moved to this site.
The Lafe Saving Service merged with the Revenue Cutter Service in 1915 to form the United States Coast Guard.
Erected by Buffalo Lighthouse Association.
Location. 42° 52.659′ N, 78° 53.189′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from Fuhrmann Boulevard 1.3 miles north of The Skyway (New York State Route 5). Click for map. Marker is along the Coast Guard gated walkway, open 10A to sunset. The walkway begins at the north end of Fuhrmann Boulevard. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Fuhrman Boulevard, Buffalo NY 14203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Coast Guard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lighthouse Service (within shouting distance The South Pier (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Penobscot-Morania Collision (about 400 feet away); International Shipmasters' Association (about 500 feet away); Lighthouse Point Park (about 700 feet away); The 1833 Buffalo Lighthouse (about 700 feet away); Buffalo Harbor (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buffalo.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.