—Architect: Thomas Bast • Contractor: T. H. Johnson —
The Coliseum, originally called the Livestock Pavilion, has traditionally been used for showing and judging livestock and for horse shows. In addition, four presidents who have visited the Fairgrounds have spoken here -
Harry S. Truman in 1955
Ronald Reagan in 1984
George W. Bush in 2004
The 180' by 235', three-story, brick building repeats architectural elements such as round arches and decorative brickwork found on other buildings designed by Bast.
The Coliseum was restored in 2001.
Erected by Missouri State Fair Commission.
Location. 38° 41.716′ N, 93° 15.462′ W. Marker is in Sedalia, Missouri, in Pettis County. Click for map. Marker and building are on the Missouri State Fairgrounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2503 West 16th Street, Sedalia MO 65301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Womans Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cattle Barns (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Cattle Barns (about 400 feet away); Historic Administration Building
Also see . . .
1. Missouri State Fairgrounds National Register Historic District Registration Form. Slow-loading large file. Be patient. (Submitted on July 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Missouri State Fair History Summary. (Submitted on July 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.