“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cut Off in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

Cote Blanche

Cote Blanche Marker image. Click for full size.
August 5, 2011
1. Cote Blanche Marker
Inscription. After the hurricane of Cheniere Caminada in 1893, a group of refugees settled in this area. Because many of them painted their homes white, the settlement became known as "La Cote Blanche," a village of white houses. On this site in 1899, the settlers erected a chapel under the leadership of Rev. A.M. Rochard, pastor at Larose. In 1924, the mission became the Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish of Cote Blanche.
Erected by Gheens Foundation and Lafourche Heritage Society.
Location. 29° 30.845′ N, 90° 20.025′ W. Marker is in Cut Off, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Louisiana Route 1) and West 79th Street, on the right when traveling south on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cut Off LA 70345, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Curole House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Larose (approx. 3.9 miles away); Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church (approx. 4.9 miles away); Galliano (approx. 5.9 miles away); Golden Meadow High School (approx. 9.6 miles away); Holy Savior Cemetery (approx. 15.1 miles away); Vacherie-Gheens (approx. 16 miles away).
Categories. Churches, Etc.DisastersSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 80 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement