“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Saint Mary Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

Franklin's Historic Lampposts

Franklin's Historic Lampposts Marker image. Click for full size.
November 21, 2009
1. Franklin's Historic Lampposts Marker
Inscription. The original lampposts and neutral ground project began in 1915 under Mayor Charles Lauve. A 1916 ordinance prohibited chickens from walking on the boulevards, and "Do Not Hitch" appears on each lamppost. On February 22, 2005 a ceremony commemorated the restored lampposts on their ninetieth birthday.
Erected by Patriotic Order Sons of America - - Franklin.
Location. 29° 47.099′ N, 91° 29.849′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Louisiana, in Saint Mary Parish. Marker is on Main Street (Louisiana Route 182) north of Foster Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin LA 70538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gunboat Diana (approx. half a mile away); Battle Of Irish Bend (approx. half a mile away); Franklin (approx. half a mile away); Jared Young Sanders (approx. half a mile away); Charles Austin O'Neill (approx. half a mile away); St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); German Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 0.8 miles away); Murphy James Foster (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesRoads & Vehicles
Franklin's Historic Lampposts image. Click for full size.
November 21, 2009
2. Franklin's Historic Lampposts
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement