“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Saint Mary Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)

German Prisoner of War Camp

German Prisoner of War Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
November 21, 2009
1. German Prisoner of War Camp Marker
Inscription. Located 1 mile west is the site of a W.W. II prisoner-of-war camp. Formerly a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps camp, the low-security P.O.W. camp opened October 14, 1943. It held captured German soldiers of the Afrikacorps who worked in the area sugar cane fields. Area citizens remember them for their friendly behavior.
Erected 2005 by Franklin Rotary Club.
Location. 29° 47.747′ N, 91° 30.075′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Louisiana, in Saint Mary Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Louisiana Route 182) and Iberia Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 920 Main Street, Franklin LA 70538, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle Of Irish Bend (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Gunboat Diana (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jared Young Sanders (approx. 0.3 miles away); Franklin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles Austin O'Neill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Donelson Caffery (approx. half a mile away); Franklin's Historic Lampposts (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. War, World II
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 135 times since then and 59 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement