“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Farmington in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

First Quaker Meeting

First Quaker Meeting Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 4, 2015
1. First Quaker Meeting Marker
Inscription. In the 1820's, members of the Society of Friends played a key role in the settlement of several Michigan communities. Farmington was founded in 1824 by Arthur Power, a Quaker from Farmington, New York. In 1831, what was apparently Michigan's first formal Quaker Meeting was organized at Farmington. Power in 1832 gave the land for the meeting house and the old Quaker Cemetery located one-half mile west of here on Gill Road. Earlier, in 1828, these Friends opened a school. This industrious group provided the nucleus around which the present city and township developed. The Quakers were also active in the antislavery movement. Farmington had a station on the Underground Railroad.
Erected by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number 266.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 27.928′ N, 83° 22.679′ W. Marker is in Farmington, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is at the intersection of Grand River Avenue and Liberty Street, on the right when traveling east on Grand River Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23600 Liberty Street, Farmington MI 48336, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
First Quaker Meeting Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 4, 2015
2. First Quaker Meeting Marker
walking distance of this marker. City of Farmington (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Farmington Masonic Temple and Farmington Township Hall (about 400 feet away); Farmington's First Post Office (about 600 feet away); The Village Center (about 800 feet away); Travel Through Time (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gov. Fred M. Warner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. mile away); The Potawatomi Indians of Farmington (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Farmington.
Also see . . .  Oakwood Cemetery. Arthur Power also gave the land for Oakwood Cemetery in Farmington. (Submitted on July 9, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
Categories. Abolition & Underground RRCemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement