224-232 S. Ohio
—Commerce Building —
· 1886-1920: Messerly and Meuschke dry goods
· 1915: Addition to north for F. W. Woolworth Co. dime store (1915-1969)
· 1921-1927: Chasnoffs department store
· 1927-1975: J.C. Penney department store
· 2011: Conversion to apartments by Fulson Housing
Erected by City of Sedalia.
Location. 38° 42.53′ N, 93° 13.691′ W. Marker is in Sedalia, Missouri, in Pettis County. Marker is on Ohio Avenue (Missouri Route 750), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 224-232 South Ohio Avenue, Sedalia MO 65301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hotel Bothwell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (about 400 feet away); Pettis County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); All American Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Pettis County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Pettis County Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Pettis County Courthouse Memorial (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sedalia.
Regarding Ilgenfritz Block.
Also see . . .
1. Sedalia Commercial Historic District National Register Registration Form.
2. A Brief History of Downtown Sedalia. (Submitted on July 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. William D. Ilgenfritz at Find A Grave. (Submitted on July 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.