Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albany in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Christian Church

 
 
First Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
1. First Christian Church Marker
Inscription. In December 1886, Evangelist J.P. Pinkerton led 26 people from 19 families to found this church. Members met in the Shackelford County courthouse. Miss Betty Parker then gave $50 to buy land for a one-room frame building completed in January 1889 at South Third and Pecan. In 1920, the church sold that property to the American Legion, when Mrs. J. W. Eaheart donated land at South Second and Walnut. The new church, which included a fellowship hall and seven Sunday school rooms, was dedicated on September 11, 1921. The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1953. A congregation of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), this pioneer Albany church continues to witness and worship here, and to serve this community.
 
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17640.)
 
Location. 32° 43.395′ N, 99° 17.732′ W. Marker is in Albany, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Walnut Street and S. 2nd Street (Texas Highway 6), on the right when traveling north on S. Walnut Street. Click for map. Marker is located at southeast corner of intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 S. Walnut St, Albany TX 76430, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
First Christian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
2. First Christian Church Marker
Marker near S. Walnut St entrance to church
distance of this marker. Rye-Caperton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Shackelford County's First Permanent Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Jack Shackelford (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shackelford County War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Shackelford County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Lt. General Robert Boyd Williams (about 400 feet away); Lt. Colonel William Edwin Dyess (about 400 feet away); Rear Admiral Emory Arden Grantham (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Albany.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
First Christian Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, June 27, 2015
3. First Christian Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement