Near Eceabat in Eceabat district, Çanakkale Province, Turkey
This beach, 600 metres long by 20 metres wide was the life line to the Allied soldiers within the Anzac perimeter. Because of Turkish shellfire, supplies could only be landed at night and carried by men and mules along tortuous and dangerous tracks to the front line; casualties were evacuated the same way. The Australian and New Zealand headquarters were located 100 meters from the beach and within 1000 metres of the front line. On the hillside above the beach, thousands of men lived in small dugouts during the 240 days of the campaign.
Anzak'ların bulunduǧu tarafta olan 600 metre uzunluǧunda ve 20 metre genişliǧindeki bu sahil müttefik kuvvetlerinin can damarıydı. Türk kuvvetlerinin ateşi nedeniyle mühimmat tehlikeli ve dolambaçlı patikalardan geçilerek ancak geceleri askerlerin ve katırların sırtında ateş hattına getirilebiliyordu. yaralı ve ölüler de aynı şekilde taşınmak zorundaydı. Avustralya ve Yeni Zelanda kuvvetlerinin karargahları sahilden 100 metre içeride ve ateş hattından da 1000 metre geride bulunuyordu 240 gün suren muharebeler sırasında binlerce asker sahile mücavir tepelerdeki siǧinaklarda yaşadı.
German: The German
French: The French text is at the bottom right, click on the marker image to enlarge and read it.
25th April 1990
Erected 1990. (Marker Number 2.)
Location. 40° 14.076′ N, 26° 16.641′ E. Marker is near Eceabat, Çanakkale Province, in Eceabat district. Marker is on Edirne Çanakkale Yolu (Route D550), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eceabat, Çanakkale Province 17900, Turkey.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beach Cemetery (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); Ariburnu (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Atatürk's Tribute (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Ari Burnu Cemetery (approx. half a kilometer away); North Beach & Sphinx (approx. half a kilometer away); Anzac Commemorative Site (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Gallipoli Campaign of 1915 (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); Lone Pine Cemetery (approx. one kilometer away). Click for a list of all markers in Eceabat.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the coast, at the south end of Anzac Cove and just north of Beach Cemetery on the
Also see . . . Anzac Cove - Gallipoli and the Anzacs. During the Gallipoli campaign there was no better-known place than Anzac Cove. It received this name as early as 29 April 1915, by request of the commander of the Anzac Corps, Lieutenant General Sir William Birdwood... Like no other spot on Gallipoli, Anzac Cove has become the image of Anzac. (Submitted on July 9, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • War, World I •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 205 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.