St. Martinville in Saint Martin Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Le Croix de la Deportation
La Croix originelle de la déportation près du site national historique de Grand-Pré en Nouvelle-Écosse est situee dans les environs de l'embarquement des victimes de la diaspora acadienne de 1755. Inaugre le 24 juillet 1924.
At the Acadian Memorial this faithful replica of the cross commemorates the first large Acadian community in Louisiana that settled in the area of St. Martinville in 1765. Dedicated June 15, 2003.
Cette fidèle réplique de la croix commémore l'installation du premier grand groupe de peuplement acadians en Louisiane qui a eu lieu dans les environs de St. Martinville en 1765. Inaugre le 15 Juin 2003.
Location. 30° 7.354′ N, 91° 49.628′ W. Marker is in St. Martinville, Louisiana, in Saint Martin Parish. Marker can be reached from South New Market Street south of East Bridge Street (Louisiana Highway 96), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the grounds of the Acadian Memorial Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 S New Market St, Saint Martinville LA 70582, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Evangeline Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Castillo Hotel (about 300 feet away); Judge Emile Edouard (Edward) Simon (about 300 feet away); Evangeline Monument (about 400 feet away); St. Martin Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Attakapa Indian (about 700 feet away); St. Martinville (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Martinville.
Also see . . . Acadian Memorial. (Submitted on July 13, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.