Royal Oak in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Royal Oak Township Cemetery / Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery
In 1826 Daniel Burrows donated land for use as a cemetery. The first burial was the infant daughter of Laura Swift Chase and David Chase, who later served as township supervisor and a delegate to the "Convention of Assent" for Michigan statehood. In 1857 it was taken over by the Royal Oak Township Board of Health. The cemetery contains the remains of veterans of all U.S. wars from the American Revolution through the Vietnam War as well as pioneers and prominent citizens. A boulder in Section J gives the names of township residents who died in the Civil War and World War I. Integrated since the beginning, this cemetery has been owned and maintained by the city of Royal Oak since 1921.
Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery was established in 1875 and consecrated by Bishop Caspar Henry Borgess that year. The land for the cemetery was purchased from Royal Oak Township. One of the earliest burials was for Edmund Loughnane (Lockman), who had hosted Catholic meetings in his home. Unusual statuary includes a concrete tree trunk and a seated maiden holding flowers. The statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, located atop Saint Mary High School beginning in 1925, was moved here in 1992. This cemetery contains the remains of a number
Erected 1996 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1967.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 30.069′ N, 83° 8.665′ W. Marker is in Royal Oak, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker can be reached from Rochester Road 0.2 miles south of East Twelve Mile Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Royal Oak MI 48067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Royal Oak (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Royal Oak (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dr. Firman W. Clawson Homestead Site (approx. one mile away); Royal Oak Woman's Club (approx. one mile away); Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Orson Starr Home (approx. 1.2 miles away); Indian Trail (approx. 1.5 miles away); Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House (approx. 1.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Royal Oak.
Also see . . . Conventions of Assent. David Chase was a representative to the Second Convention of Assent of the Territory of Michigan, held December 14-15, 1836. (Submitted on July 12, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.